Vettithara is a "kara" in the Village of Maneed situated on the banks of the Muvattupuzha River.
Vettithara is one of the two "karas" in the Village of Maneed (the other kara is Ezhakkaranad) located in Ernakulam District in the Indian State of Kerala. It is also the home of the Thuruthel-Chalappuram Family and the Thuruthel House, which was built by Very. Rev. Fr. GeeVarghese Mathu Thuruthel in 1950.
In the east, Vettithara Kara is bordered by the Muvattupuzha River. The north, west, and south is bordered by Ezhakkaranad Kara. Vettithara has an area of 323 acres and Ezhakkaranad has an area of 2900 acres. Notable locations in Vettithara include
- St. Michael's Church (Valiya Palli)
- St. Mary's Church (Kochu Palli)
- St. Mary's English Medium School
- Ezhakkaranadu U.P. School
- Ramamangalam Tile Works Co.
Kerala is a southern State of India. The capital is Thiruvananthapuram. The official language is Malayalam. The location of Vettithara is written in blue on the map (from wikipedia) on the left. Keep scrolling down to view satellite images (from wikimapia) of Vettithara and pictures of some locations in Vettithara. Click here to go to the wikimapia page of vettithara.
Click on the yellow boxes below to view pictures of the locations!
Click on the yellow boxes above to view pictures of the locations!
The Ramamangalam Tileworks Company is located on the southeastern corner of Vettithara on the banks of the Muvattupuzha River. This factory was one of the first established factories (circa 1915) in Southern Travencore. Acha I's brother, Thomman Ulahannan, was one of the founding members of this company. This was a public limited company with about 300 shareholders. Very Rev. Fr. GeeVarghese Thuruthel worked for this factory from the age of 20 to 60. The main product manufactured was clay roofing tiles. Clay floor tiles, clay bricks, and clay water pots were also produced. In the beginning, the factory was powered by oxen, then it was switched to coal, and finally electricity. Unfortunately, due to falling demand for clay roofing tiles and mismanagement, the company was shutdown in 1987. Much of the original building has been destroyed, but the chimney is still standing.
You can click on the images below to view larger versions.